I hate Bhindi. Something about its gooeyness just throws me off. Unfortunately, everybody else in my family loves it. It is also one of those vegetables you can easily make as part of packed lunches. Hence, I have been forced all my life to have Bhindi on a weekly basis. Luckily for me, since it is such a loved vegetable, there have always been takers to empty my lunchbox; my Mom, and then later in life, my husband being none the wiser (I think).
On the flip side, it is a vegetable that I am forced to cook often. Hence, I have learnt to adapt it to my tastes. Now, I can eat it when the Bhindi is cooked to such a level of crispiness that it's almost black. That's where this recipe comes in.
My mom started making this as an easier and less time consuming alternative to Bharwan Bhindi. She finds it a convenient item to make when we have guests over as it pairs well with Rajma, Channa or a fancy Dal.
Recipe (Servers 4)
Ingredients
500 gm Ladies finger/Bhindi - Slit lengthwise
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
Method
Alternatively, once the ladies finger is half cooked, place it on a tray in a preheated oven at 200 degree centigrade for 20 to 30 minutes to crisp up. The spices can be added after removing from oven
Notes
I like to wash the ladies finger the night before or a few hours before cooking to ensure there is no water when cooking this dish
Always add salt in the end to ensure that the dish is crispy.
Use a large kadhai, so that the bhindi has enough space to cook. Overcrowding leads to a soggy dish
On the flip side, it is a vegetable that I am forced to cook often. Hence, I have learnt to adapt it to my tastes. Now, I can eat it when the Bhindi is cooked to such a level of crispiness that it's almost black. That's where this recipe comes in.
My mom started making this as an easier and less time consuming alternative to Bharwan Bhindi. She finds it a convenient item to make when we have guests over as it pairs well with Rajma, Channa or a fancy Dal.
Recipe (Servers 4)
Ingredients
500 gm Ladies finger/Bhindi - Slit lengthwise
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
Method
- Wash, dry and slit the ladies finger lengthwise into 2 halves
- Take 3 tbsp oil in a large non stick pan, when hot, add the ladies finger and saute for 2 mins
- Turn down the heat and let the ladies fingers cook down till they turns dark green and crispy. Stir occasionally.
- When crisped up nicely, add the salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and coriander powders.
- Stir to mix the spices thoroughly. Let cook for another few minutes to ensure the spices cook out.
Alternatively, once the ladies finger is half cooked, place it on a tray in a preheated oven at 200 degree centigrade for 20 to 30 minutes to crisp up. The spices can be added after removing from oven
Notes
I like to wash the ladies finger the night before or a few hours before cooking to ensure there is no water when cooking this dish
Always add salt in the end to ensure that the dish is crispy.
Use a large kadhai, so that the bhindi has enough space to cook. Overcrowding leads to a soggy dish



No comments:
Post a Comment